Fort Pickens Chapter, NSDAR, organized on September 11, 1976, was named for a local landmark on Florida’s Santa Rosa Island.
After the War of 1812, between the years of 1816 and 1870, the United States built a series of 42 forts as protection for its principal harbors, rivers and naval yards. It was named in honor of Andrew Pickens, distinguished militia leader from South Carolina, and member of the US House of Representatives. Pickens is the largest of four forts built to defend Pensacola Bay. Over 21.5 million locally-made bricks were used in the construction.
A working military fort and Union stronghold during the Civil War, Fort Pickens was in active use until just after World War II. In 1947, after 118 years of service, the fort was closed, and today is a protected part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Park Rangers host daily guided tours of the museum and grounds.
The chapter’s members form an active working partnership, annually earning numerous Florida State Society Daughters of the American Revolution (FSSDAR) awards for community service, project participation, and education.
Email us for more information.